Gretna Public Library
Wireless Network Policy
Approved March 30, 2009
By the Gretna Library Board
The goal of this policy is to provide brief guidelines regarding the use of the library’s wireless network.
1. No Guarantees: The library cannot guarantee that users will be able to connect successfully. Staff is not able to provide technical assistance to wireless users. In addition, users are responsible for maintaining their own anti-virus protection and they assume the increased security risks of a wireless environment. Users should never leave a wireless device unattended. Gretna Public Library assumes no responsibility for damage, theft, or loss of any kind to a user’s equipment, software, data files, personal information, or other personal property brought into or used at the Library’s facilities and/or connected to the wireless network.
2. User Responsibility:
- Save items for later printing, as the wireless network does not have access to a printer.
- Use the Internet only for activities not prohibited by federal, state or local law. Activities such as viewing child pornography, committing fraud, hacking, harassing others, invading personal privacy, spreading libel or slander, or misrepresenting yourself are thus strictly forbidden. The Library will cooperate with local, state and federal authorities in the prosecution of crimes committed while using the wireless network.
- Be considerate of your environment. Wear headphones if necessary (the library has some available). Do not engage in any activity that is deliberately offensive or creates an intimidating or hostile environment.
- Respect copyright restrictions.
3. Loss of Privileges: Users failing to abide by this policy may lose their library privileges.